George Washington Elementary School was completed in 1921, the first of Mt. Lebanon's current elementary schools--the others being Abraham Lincoln (1924), Julia Ward Howe (1928), Edwin Markham (1928), Stephen C. Foster (1940), Thomas Jefferson (1950) and Herbert Hoover (1963, after our elementary school tenure). Washington stands on 3 acres on Washington Road, essentially adjacent to Andrew W. Mellon Junior High (now Middle) School, part of a 4.5 acre parcel of the Kuhlmans' orchards purchased in January 1920 and leveled for the construction of Washington Public School. During our tenure Washington served grades K-6. Washington was renovated in 2005 at a cost of $9 million and now serves grades K-5.